Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The rest of the bat story

So I am crying and screaming, screaming and crying while the dogs look at me semi-quizzically. I can't pull over. No light, no shoulder, no one to help me with the dogs. So I keep driving. I pick up my left foot off the ground and barely keep the big toe of my right on the accelerator. It is so late and I am so tired I feel a bit otherwordly if you know what I mean. So finally I make it to an all night gas station. It has full front glass windows and there is nobody, nobody there except for the doltish pimply faced kid behind the counter. He is just looking at me. I am crying incontrollably and am quite the mess. I get out of the truck and look in the floorboard and sure enough there is a bat lying on the floor. I scream and cry harder. The dolt behind the counter just looks at me. I get the broom out of the back of the truck and attempt to sweep out the bat. It, of course hits me in the leg before hitting the ground, which of course makes me scream and cry even harder. Dolt boy just watches. I just hang in the open door and cry. The dogs go back to sleep. Dolt boy just watches. Eventually I gather myself together and drive on home. I can't drive at night with the windows open any more. I keep a close eye on the sky come dusk if I am out. They scare the hell out of me still.

1 comment:

rachelpennington said...

Poor, poor bat. You probably scared the crap out of it.